Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Home Made dishes

My dad's signature dish which we call the "Hakkanese Minestrone", quite similar to the Italian one but without rice or pasta. Ingredients contain: beef hind shank, potatoes, celery, onions, carrots, broccoli and tomatoes.


Glutinous rice balls "tong yuen" in sweet syrup, is my bro's favorite. I haven't made these since I've moved to HK (nearly 5 years!) so above is the result of my 1st attempt after these years :> Frankly, I expected to fail but was quite surprised that I haven't forgotten the ingredients (glutinous rice flour and water for the dough plus brown sugar for the syrup) and still know how to knead and roll out the little rice balls. The texture was right, chewy & soft and the syrup was not too sweet. One minus point though: the rice balls were a bit dry (notice the fine lines?) because I left them uncovered for almost 2hrs :P

Sauteed "Yu Foo" fish tofu balls (fish balls shaped like "oil tofu" cubes) with broccoli
Chef: a friend's mom

Sauteed prawns with eggs & onions
Chef: my dad!


Healthy nutritious salad (avocado, lettuce, cherry tomato, cucumber, egg,..)
Chef: friend Shan from Belgium


Sweet glutinous rice congee
Chef: a friend's mom


Delicious 2 in 1 soup: New England clam chowder & cream of mushroom
~Yum Yum~
Chef: uncle Stephen from San Francisco


Simple but healthy and tasty: sauteed veggies & sweet corn
Chef: uncle Stephen from San Francisco


A juicy slice of beef served with veggies
Chef: uncle Stephen from San Francisco



Healthy fresh garden greens
Chef: auntie Jennifer from San Francisco


Freshly oven-baked sliced potatoes au gratin topped with shredded bacons & mushrooms
Chef: friend Shan from Belgium



Udon noodle soup with pak choi (Chinese cabbage)
Chef: my grandma

Flavorful stewed duck with taro
Chef: a friend's mom


Hunan Wai Po Cai: stir-fried pickled vegetables, apart from the traditional youtiao, zha cai, preserved bean curd, Wai Po Cai serves well as a side-dish for plain congee too.
Chef: my mom!

0 comments: