Saturday, April 25, 2009

Coffee course @ Barista Caffe, Wanchai

Since myself and my 3 gal friends enjoy drinking coffee a lot and wanted to learn more about our favorite beverage, we decided to enroll ourselves to a coffee course in April. This 8hrs course (spread over 4 weeks) covers a basic understanding of coffee (history, culture and cultivation) and coffee brewing methods (manual drip, siphon and espresso machine). During these weeks, we got to make coffee using the different brewing methods and analyzed the taste (aroma, acidity, sweetness, bitterness, body and aftertaste) of our self-made coffees and those of other attendees.

The classes were interesting and enjoyable. We had a great time and had some hilarious moments too! :) (like forgetting or skipping a step cos we were simply nervous ^^ or clumsy me who nearly placed the top container of the siphon in the coffee grinder instead of the stand! How embarrassing! >.<)
Our tutor, we call him "coffee sir" is a nice guy and very experienced. Last lesson, each of us got to order our favorite coffee beverage on the house! Among the 4 (latte, caramel macchiato, cappuccino and mocha) caramel macchiato tasted the best! The top was very foamy and smooth, the flavor of coffee and caramel was well-balanced and most importantly not too sweet! Though the course has come to an end, I'll definitely drop by
Barista Caffe for more cups of yummy caramel macchiato! ^_^

For info on the coffee basics course, as well as the advanced course and coffee tasting class, contact HKFTU.

1 comments:

winnie said...

Hi!

I was searching for Hong Kong Barista courses when your little blog showed up.

I am currently a student working at a hotel in Australia where making coffee is one of the basic skills needed, unfortunately, I have never been trained long enough to actually make nice coffee!

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of the class you took, was it all in Chinese? And could you tell me around how much it cost?

I know this is probably really late since you wrote this in April, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you! :)

P.S You can contact me by emailing: radiantbaby[at]gmail[dot]com, thanks again!